Outsourcing Finance Manager
Who we are
Arnold Hill & Co LLP is a growing firm of Chartered Accountants looking after dynamic entrepreneurial clients operating in a broad range of industries in the UK and overseas.
We are a team of circa seventy with an effective mix of qualified and experienced staff working alongside trainees across many institutes.
Our office is conveniently located across the road from Waterloo Station in Capital Tower. Our office is modern and open plan encouraging all of our service teams to collaborate in an effective manner.
The Outsourcing Finance Manager will be responsible for managing and overseeing the outsourcing department and its team members, ensuring that all outsourced accounting functions are completed accurately and on a timely manner. The role involves leading and being accountable for service delivery to clients, including enhancing and building client relationship. The role will also provide the manager an opportunity to be involved in business development activities, attending scoping and pitch meetings with Partners, and supporting the new client on-boarding process.
This role would suit an enthusiastic, diligent and thorough individual who wants to enhance their managerial skills and has a vision to highlight opportunities where we can progress as a team, and the wider firm. Primarily, the candidate would be able to carry out and have a comprehensive understanding of tasks such as bookkeeping, cash flows, budgeting, VAT, management accounts and payroll in order to be able to review tasks carried out by the team and assist clients upon request. Direct supervision would therefore be involved which will include some high level preparation work, reviewing and training individuals.
Key responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee a portfolio of clients, which will be completed by a member of the team.
- Ensure and be able to keep client records up to date on a timely basis. This would include bank reconciliations (current accounts as well as any credit card statements, petty cash, etc.), input of sales and purchase invoices and monthly journals.
- Be able to analyse debtor and creditor reports. Request missing information from clients and advise them of any overpayments they have made, etc.
- Be able to process invoices and make payments on the client’s behalf. Ensuring that invoices haven’t been provided previously to reduce risk of overpayments. Limit the risk of paying the wrong beneficiary by checking any bank templates against invoices received.
- Agree timelines with clients in respect of when to receive information to completed bookkeeping and VAT returns. To be able to meet expected deadline for deliverables and able to deliver the VAT return in advance of the deadline.
- Similarly, be able to produce management accounts to a very high standard. Ensuring all control accounts in the balance sheet reconcile and be able to explain any abnormalities. In addition, be able to explain to clients any anomalies with P&L items. Maintain schedules of prepayments, accruals, other debtors, etc. and ensure these match back to the main balance sheet and profit and loss.
- Be able to produce VAT returns to a high standard. Checking transactions allocated to the relevant box numbers. In some cases, reporting to a partner for a final review.
- Review bookkeeping, VAT returns, management accounts and quarterly working papers from various team members and communicate constructive feedback on how they done and how they can improve next time.
- Have a desire to work with the team and clients to make environmental reporting part of their processes.
- Ensure working papers prepared for accounts teams are to a high standard.
- Work alongside Payroll manager to ensure delivery of payroll services are to a high standard.
- Keep up to date with changing VAT and accounting knowledge. Liaise with the support team to book courses/webinars/etc.
- Liaise with other departments in the firm concerning accounts preparation, corporation tax and personal tax. This role does not entail producing any of these returns but having a basic understanding in these areas will assist with streamlining the processes between teams. As a result, frequent conversations with the departments involved are necessary.
- Manage the workload of the team. Review weekly work plans and ensure the team are working towards deadlines throughout the week. Delegate work where there are team members that may struggle with their workload to team members that are able to take on more work that week.
- Carry out quarterly one-to-one reviews with the team to ensure targets are being met and to work towards expectations of both parties. Document the reviews to pass onto the HR department.
- Liaise with the HR manager and Partners with performance reviews. Be part of the performance review process including meetings with the individual concerned and creating targets to be worked towards.
- Review and query weekly timesheets completed by the team ensuring that time posted to clients and non-chargeable assignments are consistent – including time being posted to the correct financial year for each client.
- Update budgets on a monthly basis ensuring we are working towards the firm wide growth goal. Investigate any discrepancies and communicate these to the Outsource Finance management team and Partner.
- Work with the partners to increase business engagements by adding additional services to existing clients and bringing in new business.
- Provide quotes to potential clients or to partners for our bespoke services – taking into consideration the team member(s) who would be involved and charge out rates as well as the services being undertaken.
- Have strong interpersonal and team working skills.
- Be able to communicate effectively with all parties; the team, managers, partners and clients.
- Build strong relationships with colleagues and clients and achieve a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
- Work alongside the other managers with overseeing the team and aid with training when necessary.
Please apply with a cover letter and CV to email@example.com